International Building Code Section 903.3.1.1 is hereby amended to read as follows:
[F] 903.3.1.1 NFPA 13 sprinkler systems. Where the provisions of this code require that a building or portion thereof be equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with this section, sprinklers shall be installed throughout in accordance with NFPA 13 except as provided in Section 903.3.1.1.1, 903.3.1.1.2, and 903.3.1.1.3.
[F] 903.3.1.1.1 Exempt locations. Automatic sprinklers shall not be required in the following rooms or areas where such rooms or areas are protected with an approved automatic fire detection system in accordance with Section 907.2 that will respond to visible or invisible particles of combustion. Sprinklers shall not be omitted from any room merely because it is damp, of fire-resistance rated construction or contains electrical equipment.
1. Any room where the application of water, or flame and water, constitutes a serious life or fire hazard, where approved by the fire code official.
2. A room or space where sprinklers are considered undesirable because of the nature of the contents, where approved by the fire code official.
3. In rooms or areas that are of noncombustible construction with wholly noncombustible contents.
4. Fire service access elevator machine rooms and machinery spaces.
5. Machine rooms, machinery spaces, control rooms and control spaces associated with occupant evacuation elevators designed in accordance with Section 3008.
6. Elevator machine rooms, elevator machinery spaces, control spaces, or hoistways of traction elevators that comply with NFPA 13 Section 18.104.22.168.
[F] 903.3.1.1.2 Bathrooms. In Group R occupancies sprinklers shall not be required in bathrooms that do not exceed 55 square feet (5 m2) in area and are located within individual dwelling units or sleeping units; provided, that walls and ceilings, including the walls and ceilings behind a shower enclosure or tub, are of noncombustible or limited-combustible materials with a 15-minute thermal barrier rating.
[F] 903.3.1.1.3 Seismic coefficient. The coefficient Cp for seismic bracing design calculations in accordance with NFPA 13 shall either use a value of 0.70, or shall use a value based on site specific USGS data.
(Ord. 6531 § 5, 2020.)