Section 914.2.1 of the International Fire Code is hereby amended to read as follows:
914.2.1 Automatic sprinkler system. Covered and open mall buildings and buildings connected shall be equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.1.1, which shall comply with the following:
1. The automatic sprinkler system shall be complete and operative throughout occupied space in the mall building prior to occupancy of any of the tenant spaces. Unoccupied tenant spaces shall be similarly protected unless provided with approved alternative protection.
2. Sprinkler protection for the mall of a covered mall building shall be independent from that provided for tenant spaces or anchors. Where tenant spaces are supplied by the same system, they shall be independently controlled.
3. Sprinkler protection for the tenant spaces of an open mall building shall be independent from that provided for anchor buildings.
4. Sprinkler protection shall be provided beneath exterior circulation balconies located adjacent to an open mall.
5. Where tenant spaces are supplied by the same system, they shall be independently controlled.
(Ord. 6532 § 2, 2020.)